Click "Play" to Listed the Article
Dogs are curious energetic animals that leave chasing bugs or insects to no chance. Sometimes it is hard to control our dogs where to go and what to avoid. Having dogs in the company of the wasp or hornets can spell disaster for the dogs when the dog is left alone. Most of the insects will be painful or irritating for the dog and being stung multiple times can be eventually fatal.
If you suspect a wasp or hornet presence anywhere near or on your property, contact wasp removal Toronto for quick and safe removal.
Many dogs are found to be stung on the paws, face, or mouth. When dogs become excited when bees or wasps are present they are more likely to be stung in the mouth or throat. Stings inside or around these areas can be quite dangerous and risky because any swelling that occurs in these areas can contribute to the airways being blocked. If your dog happens to be stung around the mouth contact your vet as soon as possible for further instructions.
There are some signs that can help you understand if your dog is stung by insects.
these include but are not limited by:
- Biting or nibbling at the site of the sting
- Holding up a paw, if they are stung on the paw
There are some signs that your dog is having a reaction against a wasp sting
- Difficulty breathing
- Swelling of the mouth and or throat
If you notice on or more of these signs, the dog must be taken to the vet immediately.
The first and foremost action is to remain calm. You can pull out or scrape the sting away using a debit or credit card below the poison sac, then the next is to bathe the area in water. Do not attempt to squeeze the sting out as things can force unintentionally more poison in the dog’s body.
Applying ice to the affected areas can soothe the sting and the dog at the same time. If you notice that the dog has been stung in the mouth take the dog immediately to the vet as this can severely prevent the dog from breathing.
There are several websites that advise giving some of your own antihistamines to threaten a wasp or bee sting. However since these are solely made for human consumption it is not a good idea to have your dog ingest them without a professional consultation or opinion.