Click "Play" to Listed the Article
Rats are kept as pets in some regions of the world and are a joy to have, but having a rat infestation that gets multiplied every second under and inside your property, can be really terrifying. The weather and several construction projects around the Toronto area have increased rat activity immensely and so have the number of calls. If you had rat encounters and you quickly need answers, a professional at Rat Exterminator Toronto will be happy to help you.
Below show the most common signs of a possible rat infestation:
- Droppings: Rats produce up to 50 fecal pellets a day that resembles seeds and measures approximately 1/3 inch. The ends of their droppings can be rounded or pointed depending on the rat species. The colour is usually shiny dark-brown to black but can vary depending on their diet. Droppings are a sure sign of a rodent infestation.
- Odour: Rats carry and spread around strong smells in the areas they travel. The odour of rat urine tends to be musty and pungent and pinpoints directly the areas with high rat activity.
- Strands of Hair: As a result of common parasites they might carry in combination to their particular nature to squeeze in the tiniest cracks, bits of hair in tan, black and grey colour can also be proof of a rat infestation.
- Tampering: Rats have sharp teeth and so their favourite activity is gnawing at multiple materials. Tooth marks have the size of 1/5 inch. Bite marks or debris can be spotted on and around food resources and their containers, on electrical wiring, on water pipes and on other items including wood, aluminium, plastic, lead, and concrete.
- Greasy Marks: The rats have remarkably oily fur, therefore grease marks on rafters, beams, door frames, baseboards and holes are a bad sign.
- Footprints: Foot and tail tracks are frequently left in dusty surfaces of quiet places where rats prefer to navigate. Rats’ foot tracks will measure about 3/4 to 1 inch with commonly a “tail imprint” in between them.
- Underground Burrows and Nests: Rats are particularly attracted to narrow, dark and quiet areas. They construct complex underground networks of interconnected tunnels nearby buildings and dwellings. The main entrance is commonly 2-4 inches in diameter and can be observed close to your property’s foundation and under well- covered locations in your garden. Additionally, when residing in a dwelling, they tend to exceptionally fancy attics and lofts and to create their nests in places with soft, fuzzy and warm material.
- Scratching Noises: Rats are nocturnal animals and so you will rarely hear or spot them during the day. Black rats are agile climbers and scratching noises at night might suggest their present. On the other side, brown rats are less skilled climbers and they can be recognized by a grinding or chattering noise they produce with their teeth.
- Sagging Insulation: Rats occasionally establish their nests behind wall and ceiling insulation. For this reason, rat movements unsnap nails and staples that result in torn and sagging insulation in the attic and the crawl spaces of your building.
Do-it-yourself approaches tend to be costly, time-consuming and can pose as a health risk that sees a high rate of failure. Hiring a professional pest control company will identify the severity and the origin of your problem in an efficient manner. Contact our licensed and insured technicians at Pest Control Toronto that utilize an innovative three-stage procedure to permanently eradicate your rats!