Ants have been an integral part of our planet’s ecosystem for millions of years. They are an important part of the food chain and help in maintaining the balance of nature. Though they can be a nuisance when they enter into our homes, especially ants. it is important to remember that only a fraction of the species actually get into residences. There are many humane ways to tackle the problem without killings the ants. Here is a look at some do it yourself remedies for ants and how to remove carpenter ants.
Table of Contents
Use of Vinegar:
Communication between ants is based on a combination of smells, touch and pheromones. Of these, pheromones are used most frequently. These are basically chemical signals that allow other ants to follow the scouts. Vinegar is a very useful agent for blocking out these scents. It confuses the ants and makes it harder to them to locate the food source.
- You need to wipe vinegar on all the entrances where the ants might be getting in from.
- Make a solution of white vinegar and water.
- Then use a spray or wipe to apply the solution at all the necessary areas.
Using a Honey Pot:
Diversionary tactics are also very useful when it comes to getting rid of ants. It can be especially useful if they have set up an ant colony near your house. Placing a honey pot near the colony will ensure that they don’t come searching for food all the way to your house. Just let them get used to the fact that this is easier than having to raid your home. Keep moving the honey pot further away from the house and soon you will find the ants have forgotten about your home. You can use this time to seal up all the entrances and make your residence completely ant-proof. Hence if they decide to get back into your home at a later date, things will be far more difficult. The most effective way to control ants is to hire The Exterminators. We will schedule an ant extermination.
- Take a small paper bowl and add a little honey to it. Place it outside your home in a spot where the ants are sure to find it.
- Once they find the pot, they will be sure to go after it instead of battling into your home. You can also use some sugar and water.
- Keep moving the pot away further and further away from your home each day. After sometime you will find that the ants have completely forgotten about your house.
Using Essential Oils:
Ants cannot stand strong smelling substances such as essential oils. It messes up their trails and communication. They also have to crawl tight through these oils which can be very hard. Peppermint and eucalyptus oils are really useful for this as they act as a deterrent for ants.
- Fill a medium sized spray bottle with fresh water and the essential oils.
- Spray this at all the entrances and cracks in the house.
- Re-spray when the smell starts to fade away.
You will find that these home solutions are very effective in tackling ant problems. Figure out which works best for you. We would love to know if these measures were of good help to you. Call The Exterminators for a solution to your carpenter ant problem. Call: 647-496-2211