Bee and Wasp Sting Treatments
Wasps are winged insects that belong to the order Hymenoptera and are often confused with bees. A highly evolved social insect, wasps are usually a bright yellow in color with prominent black stripes going around their abdomen and measure between 10 to 15 millimeters in length. While wasps usually go about their work and rarely come in contact with us, there are times when they are unusually aggressive and may even attack without provocation. Of course, any attempt to disturb their nest or swat them without success may invite stings too. We offer professional and guaranteed wasp nest removal solutions.
When it comes to wasp stings, most people experience symptoms that aren’t very serious. However, around 10% of wasp sting victims may experience nasty reactions. The most serious among these is an Anaphylactic reaction, which if left untreated, could even lead to death.
How Do I Know a Wasp Sting from a Bee Sting?
Although there are several species of wasps, some ranging from microscopic sizes to others that even grow several centimeters in length. They can range in colors from metallic greens and blues to others. The ones we usually come across and recognize as pests measure between 10 and 15 millimeters in length. The most common ones are yellow in color with black stripes running across their abdomen. The best way to recognize a wasp sting is to recognize the insect itself when it stings a person. However, if the person is unable to identify the insect and if there is no way to find out if it was a bee or a wasp through its appearance, the sting itself can tell you that story.
Bees have the ability to sting only once and lose their stinger when they attack. Therefore, more often than not, you will find the stinger attached to the area that has been stung by a bee. The venom that a bee injects is relatively large in volume at around 50 micrograms.
Wasps, on the other hand, have the ability to sting several times, and they do not lose their stinger in the process. Therefore, when it is wasp sting, you will not find a stinger attached to the area that has been stung.
Wasps seem to be more dangerous than bees due to their ability to sting again and again. The fact is that in comparison to bees the venom wasps leave behind with each sting is relatively small, and this injected volume varies between 2 and 15 micrograms.
Even so, the stings of neither a wasp nor a bee should be taken lightly, especially in the presence of adverse symptoms.
What are the Symptoms that Require Medical Attention?
Usually, a wasp sting, or even a series of stings, only leave the victim with redness, minor swelling and itching along with pain. If these are the only reactions, a thorough wash with soap and antiseptic water and applying a cold compress is all that is required.
In some cases, the victim may experience large local reactions, which include severe swelling and unbearable pain. Although the symptoms gradually subside, it is a good idea to seek medical attention.
There are the more severe cases, where along with the swelling and pain. The victim may also experience dizziness and have difficulty in breathing properly. In such cases, you should immediately rush the victim to the emergency room as they may be displaying symptoms related to Anaphylactic shock. Some of the other symptoms that indicate Anaphylaxis include severe swelling in the face, lips and throat even when these areas haven’t been stung. Also hives or itching in other parts of the body, stomach cramps, nausea or vomiting and even diarrhea.
Although wasps are small in size and even beautiful to look at, their stings could prove to be quite dangerous. Therefore, being aware of the symptoms and knowing when to seek medical attention is always a good thing.
Wasp Removal Protection and Treatments
When we perform a wasp treatment we gear up with all the protection necessary to make sure our technicians do not get attacked by wasps. Wearing a bee keeper jacket keeps us safe when coming face to face with the insects.
Aside from the bee jacket you can use an extension pole with an insecticide applicator to avoid coming in close proximity to the nest. By keeping your distance you can avoid being stung while still killing off the wasps and removing the nest.
In the case when you have to come face to face with a wasp or hornets’ nest you need to be wearing the necessary protection to avoid any wasp stings.
As professional exterminators we have access to products that are not available to the general public. In order to remove a wasp nest safely we use a variety of products and techniques that help us ensure the insects are gone and you and your family is safe.
To avoid having to deal with wasp nests you can always call The Exterminators. Call The Exterminators: 647-496-2211. Aside from our wasp nest removal services we offer a section of wasp control products.